Unforgettable visit to JSW facilities, Pilgrimage of sorts for me

 



Thanks to the extraordinary publicity and love afforded to me by the Train 18/Vande Bharat project, I frequently get invited to recount the story as a motivational tool. I do clarify that it would at best be the old wine in a new bottle with same terroir, same tannin, same body but nevertheless, the invitation is renewed.



I received one such invitation for a lecture tour from the JSW group, a $22 billion conglomerate, one among India's largest. JSW Group, founded by Mr. Sajjan Jindal in the 1980s, formerly known as Jindal South West (JSW), is diversified in steel, mining, energy, infrastructure and software business. One does not receive such an inestimable invitation every day so I readily accepted, even as I thought the lecture tour would be another déjà vu. Been there, done that. 


Helena in the bard’s All’s Well That Ends Well, trying to sway the ailing king to engage her to cure him like a divine emissary, employs her rhetorical skill uttering many an ingeniously terse expressions, like: 

 

“…Oft expectation fails, and most oft there

Where most it promises; and oft it hits

Where hope is coldest, and despair most fits.

 

Let alone I, even the crafty Helena could not have anticipated the experience in store for me. It turned out be a pilgrimage of sorts for me. An unforgettable experience.

 

The hospitality was impeccable, the reception very indulgent, far beyond my expectations, but it is pointless to dwell on that. I will briefly cover some great takeaways for me from the tour.

 

The Alliance Air flight from Bangalore to Vidyanagar hovered over the JSW complex for nearly thirty minutes affording a stupendous view of the massive Steel plant, kilometres and kilometres of serpentine rail tracks, a maze of conveyors carrying ore from the mines, a beautifully laid-out housing colony and yes, luscious greenery. This was, I was told later, an expanse of barren land before the group took it over to build the plant in 1990s. A parched land which, thanks to effort of the group in afforestation and other measures, is no longer rain-deficient. The pilot soon announced that due to smoke from the chimneys of the plant, landing was dangerous and turned back to Bangalore. A mystery to me as the visibility and view of the area to my eyes were clear but then mere mortals should not comment on an esoteric skill. I did tell my hosts that they should determine if this was a greenhorn pilot, unsure of his trade, hiding behind an excuse; after all, the bard again through Pembroke in King John, “And oftentimes excusing of a fault doth make the fault the worse by the excuse.”

 

But we leave it at that. What matters is what I saw and I must say this image of new India was very gratifying as I have not seen such a bird’s eye view of an impressive array of huge plants, its logistics and housing anywhere in the world. It would live with me.

 

Bas ik jhalak dikhā ke jise tu guzar gayā

Vo chasm-e-shauq mahv-e-tamashā hai aaj tak

(Firāq)

(jhalak: glimpse, chasm-e-shauq: desirous eyes, mahv-e-tamashā: absorbed in the spectacle. You moved on after showing a mere glimpse but those passionate eyes are still captivated by the spectacle.)

 

The arduous six-hour drive at night from Bangalore to Vidyanagar was forgotten as I entered the wonderful company hotel, built elegantly with more than a touch of Hampi architecture, and its warm hospitality. The talk was received very well the next day. But the high point for me was to witness the cheery faces of the executives and workers wherever I went. And the innovative spirit came to the fore. I am a novice as far as steel-making is concerned so let me cite examples of their innovative spirit in their ‘rail sector’. Living up to their commitment towards green environment, they would soon have indigenous battery-powered locomotives, a first in India. They also a have a small section in their yard with wireless control of points and crossings and automatic coupling and decoupling of locomotives.


 

Next was the visit to Arts and Cultural Centre, Kaladham, a JSW Foundation’s initiative for inculcating appreciation of India’s living heritage which brings alive the amazing legacy of architecture, arts and culture of the lost empire of Vijaynagar. It has the internationally-acclaimed museum, Place-Hampi, which recreates the glory of Hampi with very visitor-friendly displays; the story goes that the museum was built with the help of an Australian couple who had researched the Hampi sites for decades. In addition, its lush ten-acre campus houses neatly-constructed performance galleries and courts, a museum shop & cafe, OAT, dance hall, library, conference and exhibition facilities. The centre has seen wide participation of traditional as well as contemporary artists and performers across the country, collaborating, learning and experimenting with a multiple hues of creativity. A momentous visitation for me, with the experience underlying the value a responsible private enterprise can bring to the country and its cultural and intellectual inheritance.


On to the Inspire Institute of Sports with its world-class facilities devoted to discovering and coaching the next generation of Indian Combat and Athletic sporting talent to win over the world. They have helped many medal-winners - Neeraj Chopra, Bajrang Punia, Nisha Dahiya to name a few. Unlike other corporates who tend to glorify themselves by investing in cricket teams and exploiting the misplaced sentiments of a cricket-crazy nation, this must rank as the most noble sporting venture involved in nurturing Olympic talents of the country. Kudos!




JSW Vidyanagar is all set to exceed its output of 12 mtpa by more than double to 27 mtpa by 2025. Phenomenal!

 

I fly to Mumbai the next day via Hyderabad and then a 3-hour wearisome road journey to Vasind on Mumbai-Nashik-Agra road, a pitiable highway which ironically masquerades as an expressway. One is compelled to recall the pretentious declaration of Gadkari ji that India would soon have a highway network matching the US. Indeed! Take a ride on this road and the reality check on this prestigious corridor would be stark; it must be one of the worst 4-laned highways in the country. You have a good track record of delivery, sir, but did you not speak too soon? Let us not be the proverbial loud-mouth but walk ahead like the fool in Twelfth Night, hopefully Better a witty fool, than a foolish wit.”

 

In a lighter vein, I would summarize it as Khushwant Singh did in one of his joke books:

 

Yahāñ ḳhudā, vahāñ ḳhudā hai, idhar khuda, udhar ḳhudā hai

Aur jahāñ abhī tak nahīñ khudā hai,  vahāñ bhī kal ko khudegā

(I see God (ḳhudā) here, I see God there, I see God everywhere. And where I do not see God today, would be dug up (khudā) to accept God tomorrow.)

 

The JSW Vasind works is a large coated steel plant, India’s biggest producer & largest exporter of this range of products. Very-closely knit, the executives here appeared to me as exuberance personified with teamwork written all over their faces. My talk this time was in well-appointed hall and not a large auditorium. More indulgent queries and perhaps an undue quota of respect.


The tour ended with a walk-through in their newest plant commissioned recently. A fully-automated plant with a level of cleanliness and orderliness to be seen to be believed, equalling, if not excelling whatever industrial best I have seen in the whole world. They are already the leader and now they are destined to be a leader with a wide margin in respect of output, productivity and value for customers.



A visit to Vidyanagar was on my bucket-list. Little did I know that it would turn out to be a fulfilling experience with a resurgent and aspirational India. Thank you, JSW.


Comments

  1. I had also an occasion to visit the JSW plant at Vijayanagar and I was their guest. I spent some three days meeting their executives and I had also a chance to see all their plants. But this was a little while ago, some twelve years. I am sure the plant has expanded much more by now but even then it was a neat and well organized plant. I also had a chance to see the museum and the sports facility. They took me to Hampi as well.

    Thanks for publishing this, since it refreshed my own memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir, it'sa great responsible enterprise on the path to unprecedented expansion.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful article Mr. Mani sir. I recalled my days at Siemens as a Steel making process automation engineer. I didnt personally work for JSW but we did some top end neural network based work for their rolling mills. My focus area was Furnaces like Slab reheating for plate and hotstrip mills, batch annealing furnaces for cold rolling and a bit of Steel melting Basic Oxygen Furnace and blast furnaces. Indeed as another railway scientist from the US (Harry C Valentine) had once told me, lateral thinking infuses a lot more substance to solve complex problems in another field, so cross discipline experience always helps in a definite way.
    Best Regards / Surojit

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

High-Speed Talgo Trains in Uzbekistan Much faster than Vande Bharat!

So Balasore never happens again!

The Vande Vande Waltz